How exciting! I’ve been nominated for the (surely) very prestigious Sunshine Award. I’ve never heard of this award, but being a relative newbie in the writing world, my ignorance isn’t very surprising. I’m certain it involves a heap of prize money and mind-numbing fame.
That being said, I am ready to fulfill my obligation, which entails answering 11 questions submitted by my nominator, choosing 11 other nominees, and asking said nominees 11 other questions. I’m not sure how they (whoever they may be) arrive at the final choice of a grand winner, but I’m sure someone has worked it out. I will anxiously wait for the announcement.
So, in response to the nomination by Marge Cutter Tesch, a talented and entertaining writer (https://margecutter.wordpress.com), I have answered her 11 questions:
- How long have you been blogging, and what motivated you to start your blog? I set up my blog in March 2015. My first published novel, Betrayal, was due to come out in July and I knew I had to establish an online presence.
- In a single sentence, what is your blog about? It’s about whatever is happening or whatever is interesting to me in my life at any given time.
- How did you decide on the name for your blog? I wasn’t very creative. I didn’t give it a name, except my own. And, since it doesn’t focus on any particular type of material, there was nothing for me to draw from, thus the plain jane name.
- Where do you get the ideas for your blog posts and how often do you post? As I said, my ideas come from something which is going on in my life or through my head at any particular time. I post at least once a month. Since I have a designated day (the 16th of the month) on my publisher’s blog site, I also post on my own at the same time. But, occasionally, I will post something extra on my own. Weekly, I also post a small re-edited chapter from a previously self-published book which I have decided to call a ‘blovel’.
- Do you ever get “writer’s block,” and, if so, how do you deal with it? Yes, I often hit a wall when writing. The only way for me to handle it is to walk away. Inevitably, whether I’m in the shower, the car, walking the dog, or doing any number of things, something will come to me and I’ll be able to get back at it.
- What’s your favorite post that you’ve written? It’s difficult to choose a favorite, so I guess I would have to choose my first real blog posting, just because …
- What is the best advice you can give your fellow bloggers about how to get new subscribers? That’s a tough one, because I haven’t figured it out yet. My strategy is to keep plugging away, making little holes in the wall, and hoping that the dam will eventually break.
- Do you belong to any writers’ or bloggers’ associations and, if so, which ones? Not at this point, but I keep my eyes and ears open. I would be interested, but I don’t want to sign up for things willy-nilly without being sure I would enjoy it.
- Where will we find you on social media? I have my website/blog www.ajackmccarthy.com. On facebook at @ajackmccarthy, and on twitter @ajackmccarthy. I also opened pages/accounts on Google+ and Pinterest, but I have extremely little activity in those areas.
- Other than blogging, what is your favorite activity? I love to read, and I always have a work-in-progress novel on my computer.
- What one thing would you like to be remembered for? Being a good mother.
Now for my 11 questions to my nominees:
- What was your favorite novel as a teenager?
- Do you have an author/blogger that you use as a model for your own writing?
- What is the best time of day for you to spend writing?
- Do you have a pre-writing ritual?
- How do you like to relax?
- Do you have a preferred writing reference website?
- Do you use any specialized writing software?
- Have you ever attended a writing conference?
- Where do you see yourself as a writer/blogger five years from now?
- What inspires you the most?
- What are you most proud of?
Below is the list of bloggers I nominate:
Congratulations to all the nominees! If anyone is able to find more information about the Sunshine Award, please let me know. If there’s a fancy awards gala, I would need to purchase a gown. Good luck.